Spinal cord injuries are catastrophic injuries that can drastically change a victim’s life. Suffering a spinal cord injury can affect your ability to maintain gainful employment, care for yourself, and enjoy the quality of life you had before the accident. Medical treatment for these injuries can reach the millions throughout a victim’s lifetime — something that few Americans can afford easily.
Did you suffer spinal cord trauma after a catastrophic accident? You could be entitled to money for your losses if someone else is at fault for your injury. A Baton Rouge spinal cord injury lawyer from Tomeny | Best Injury Lawyers will help you hold the negligent parties accountable and seek maximum compensation on your behalf. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries are categorized into two main types: complete and incomplete.
A complete spinal cord injury involves complete severing or intense compression of the spinal cord, resulting in a total loss of sensation and function below the site of injury.
Incomplete spinal cord injuries involve partial severing or compression of the spinal cord, leaving victims with some sensation, some function (or both) below the injury site.
Spinal cord injuries are also grouped based on the location of the trauma:
- Cervical spinal cord injuries – The cervical spine begins just beneath the brain and extends down through the neck. Cervical spinal cord injuries can result in loss of sensation and function from the neck down.
- Thoracic spinal cord injuries – The thoracic spine extends from the bottom of the neck to the top of the lower back. Thoracic spinal cord injuries typically cause paralysis in the abdomen and legs.
- Lumbar spinal cord injuries – The lumbar spinal cord is located in the lower back. Lumbar spinal cord injuries can leave patients with losses of function and sensation in the hips and legs.
- Sacral spine injuries – The sacral spine is a fused segment of bone at the bottom of the spine. A sacral spine injury can result in loss of function in the hips, thighs, buttocks, and pelvic organs, but many accident victims eventually learn to walk again with physical therapy.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
According to recent research from the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, the top causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Motor vehicle crashes: Around 38 percent of all spinal cord injuries result from auto crashes involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other vehicles.
- Falls: Roughly 32 percent of all spinal cord injuries are caused by slip and falls, many of which occur in unsafe workplaces and other dangerous premises.
- Acts of violence: Sadly, about 14 percent of all spinal cord injuries since result from acts of violence, most commonly gunshot wounds.
- Sports and recreational accidents: Approximately 8 percent of all spinal cord injuries result from activities like football, soccer, skiing, hockey, diving, and skateboarding.
- Medical and surgical errors: About 4 percent of all spinal cord injuries stem from medical and surgical errors, such as misdiagnosis, anesthesia errors, and emergency room mistakes.
What Damages Can You Receive in a Spinal Cord Injury Lawsuit?
A successful spinal cord injury lawsuit can provide valuable compensation to help with the considerable medical and personal needs that arise from such severe injuries.
In legal terms, “damages” refers to the amount of compensation you can obtain for the personal and financial losses suffered due to your spinal cord injury.
Common damages awarded in spinal cord injury claims include compensation for:
- Past, current, and future medical expenses
- Incidental expenses (e.g., in-home care, transportation costs to and from doctor’s appointments)
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Pain and suffering
Due to the debilitating nature of the injury and its far-reaching effects, spinal injury claims can be high-dollar claims. That means the insurance company will fight hard to find any reason to minimize their payouts to you. It’s wise to consult with an experienced back injury attorney before agreeing to any kind of settlement. Otherwise, you risk recovering less money than you deserve.
Why Hire a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer?
Tomeny | Best Injury Lawyers is an established spinal cord injury law firm. Our attorneys can help you pursue justice and fair compensation for your injuries by:
- Evaluating your case in a free initial consultation
- Investigating the circumstances that led to your spinal cord injury
- Gathering critical evidence and determine who was at fault
- Interviewing witnesses who can offer valuable statements that support your claim
- Managing important documents, deadlines, and paperwork related to your case
- Communicating with at-fault parties, insurance providers, and insurance company defense attorneys on your behalf
- Working with expert witnesses, such as accident reconstruction specialists and medical providers, who can provide professional testimony to support your case
- Negotiating aggressively during settlement talks with at-fault parties and their insurance providers to maximize the compensation available for your claim
- Taking your case to trial if the insurance company refuses to pay the compensation you deserve for your losses
Contact Our Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys at Tomeny | Best Injury Lawyers Today
At Tomeny | Best Injury Lawyers, our trusted Baton Rouge spinal cord injury lawyers have more than 30 years of experience fighting for the rights of injured accident victims throughout Baton Rouge and the surrounding Louisiana communities. We have the talent, skills, and resources needed to stand up to big insurance companies and corporate attorneys ― and win. Our case results show what we can do. Call today to learn more about what we could do for you.