Side impact, or T-Bone car crashes, involve one car striking another in the middle of a vehicle. These collisions are often severe, leaving you with life-altering injuries. Standard vehicles have less metal and material on their side than on their front and back, so side impacts often cause immense harm.
When a careless motorist causes an avoidable crash, you could be eligible for a settlement to cover your damages and losses. For more information, speak with a lawyer seasoned in side impact / T-Bone car accidents in Prairieville. A compassionate car accident attorney at Tomeny | Best could be your ally during this challenging time.
Common T-Bone Car Crash Injuries and Causes
T-Bone car accidents often cause the driver and vehicle passengers to suffer blunt-force trauma to the abdomen, chest, and head. Common causes of side impact vehicle collisions in Prairieville include:
- Distracted driving
- Running red lights
- Driving while intoxicated
- Speeding and reckless driving
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Driving too fast in inclement weather conditions
- Failing to adhere to stop and other posted traffic signs
An attorney experienced with side impact / T-Bone car crashes could investigate the cause of an incident thoroughly. They could gather evidence, speak with witnesses, and review police reports to recover comprehensive damages.
What Is Comparative Fault?
The negligent defendant in a T-bone vehicle accident often asserts that the injured shares responsibility for the incident. Under Louisiana Civil Code § 2323, if the court determines that more than one party is liable, or at fault, it will subtract the injured person’s percentage of liability from their total award amount.
For example, if the total award of damages is $100,000 and the jury finds the plaintiff is 10 percent at fault, they are entitled to a settlement/ verdict amount of $90,000. Building a solid case to establish the defendant’s total liability is crucial. A lawyer experienced in handling side impact car wreck cases in Prairieville could fight for the settlement that the injured party deserves.
Damage Recovery After a Side Impact Car Wreck
When the plaintiff proves another driver is responsible for their T-bone car wreck, the court could compensate them for the following losses:
- Past pain and suffering from the time of the collision until the present date
- Future pain and suffering from the date of settlement or verdict for the remainder of their life
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Medical devices, equipment, or prescriptions
- Loss of companionship and the enjoyment of life
- Lost wages for the time they miss from work to recover
- Past Medical care—including emergency rooms, surgeries or procedures, and ongoing treatment for injuries related to the crash
- Future Medical care—includes the medical treatment an injured will require in the future after their case has ended.
An injured person’s settlement will likely be substantial when a severe collision results in bodily harm and property damages; however, general and special damages vary based on the case’s circumstances. A hardworking lawyer skilled in side impact car collision cases in Prairieville could help identify current and potential future losses to win maximum special damages.
Meet With an Attorney Skilled in Prairieville Side Impact / T-Bone Car Accidents
T-Bone collisions happen suddenly and can change your life in the blink of an eye. They are almost always avoidable and usually occur because of a driver’s negligence. When someone else’s recklessness causes your side-impact vehicle crash, you can seek compensation for your losses.
A diligent lawyer who has handled several side impact T-Bone car accidents in Prairieville could help you collect a settlement through an insurance claim and/or pursue legal action through a personal injury lawsuit. Call today to schedule a free appointment with a Tomeny |Best attorney to review your case.